The best way to describe enchilada torte is mexican lasagna. Layers of meat and cheese between tortillas. This recipe is from my 7th grade home-ec teacher Mrs. H. Below is a picture of the actual copy of the recipe, very thorough.
- 1 medium onion
- 4 tbsp diced green bell peppers
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 lb ground turkey (I used beef)
- 1/2 c mild enchilada sauce
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 oz chopped green chilies, drained
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 oz Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 6″ flour or corn tortillas
- Sour cream
- Sliced black olives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Brown beef until no longer pink. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic until onion is translucent.
- Drain grease. (NOT down the drain, I keep a jar in the freezer and toss it when it’s solid and full)
- Stir the enchilda sauce, tomato sauce, chili powder, ground cumin, and chopped green chilies into the meat mixture.
- Assemble torte: put tortilla on the bottom of a 1 1/2 quart dish. Top with 1/4 meat mixture, then 1/4 cheese mixture, then another tortilla. Repeat three more times and ending with a cheese layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, lettuce, and olives.